The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi, the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research, is one of the oldest medical research bodies in the world.
Project Title-The “Long term effect(s) of MIC gas , if any, on the Bhopal Population either exposed or affected (in December 1984).
Council invites research proposals in following areas to study long term effect, if any , of toxic gas exposure on Bhopal population:
2.Low birth weight
3.Growth and development disorders
4. Congenital malformation
5. Biological markers of MIC/toxic gas exposure.
6. To understand mechanisms of toxicity in humans and suggest management of the same.
7. Evaluate health effects of contamination drinking water with toxic material from Bhopal Gas Plant.
The proposal(s) should be submitted by email to ( email@example.com ). Please write “Research Proposal for Bhopal Gas Disaster” in subject line and send the proposal as an attachment. The proposals will be peer reviewed and will have to be presented by PI /discussed during meeting of Expert Group. Approved research proposals would be supported by the Council for funding, subject to fund availability. The proposal should be submitted in ICMR adhoc project format which can be downloaded ,alongwith the terms and condition for submitting the research proposal for funding from ICMR website.
The last date of submitting the ICMR adhoc project format is upto 31st December, 2010.
Guidelines for submitting the research proposal
1. Common Guidelines The Projects should be based on the Clinical & Epidemiological findings in the aftermath of the Bhopal Gas Disaster. Every Investigation must include information about Affected & Unaffected Exposees, as well as Control from totally Unexposed Population Groups
2. Choice of Follow up Case Material : Investigations should be centered around Duly Recorded Cases of Congenital Malformations and/or Low Birth Weights, and Delayed Developmental Disorders, including delayed milestones of the affected members of the Family & their Sibling. Wherever possible, it is essential that the Proformae should include or at least indicate Documentary Support or Evidence of : Exposure to the Toxic Gases, such as Fatalities, Hospitalization and Therapeutic Intervention & Detoxification measures, if any, during/at the time of BGT.
3. Noteworthy Features of Specified Topics: There is a need to focus special attention on each one of the four main themes or topics.
a .Low Birth Weight Children of Dec 84:. Follow-up data of adequate numbers of Authentic Cases of Initial Low Birth Weight, along with their respective Controls may be collected.
The respective Patterns of Growth & Development must be subjected to statistical analysis. It is important to establish whether similar trends persisted in their progeny, either way.
Other developmental issues like Retardation of Genitalia & Reproductive Functions could also be assessed. Undertake the studies in three successive generations of MIC Gas Exposees. Study cases of the Original Victims & Progeny with not only lowered physical, but mental and psychological potentials, in comparison with corresponding Socio-Economic Controls.
b) Congenital Malformations: The initially reported high incidence of congenital malformations in the wake of the Bhopal disaster was found to be well within the national average. However, such a possibility in the subsequent pregnancies due to genetic or chromosomal abnormalities could be studied. A quaniquennial or decade-wise analysis of Congenital Malformations in the Affected, & Control population of Bhopal , as compared with the National & Global figures will be an important contribution to Population Dynamics of Industrialization.
c) Genetic Disorders: In the aftermath of the Bhopal Gas Disaster, the views on chromosomal alterations & damage in the Bhopal Gas victims was that it was one-time toxic manifestation; or some felt it could be the fore-runner of chromosomal abnormalities. This may be substantiated by a Cross-Sectional study. A systematic study could undertake a trans-generational chromosomal study among exposés and unaffected population of Bhopal using more up-to-date methods of analysis.
Further Scholarship Information click here.
Similar Scholarship Opportunities:
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Council of Scientific and Industrial Research of India
- The Fundação Oriente Short Term Scholarships in Portugal
- Developing Countries TATA Fellowship by India
- Developing Country Fellowship Programmes by CSSTDS in India
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme in Department of Biotechnology, India