Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) is a leading academic institution and comprehensive research and development center in natural science, technological science and high-tech innovation in China. It was founded in Beijing on 1st November 1949 on the basis of the former Academia Sinica (Central Academy of Sciences) and Peiping Academy of Sciences.
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and TWAS offer up to fifteen fellowships per year to visiting scholars from developing countries (other than China) who wish to pursue advanced research in natural sciences.
* TWAS-CAS Visiting Scholar Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for minimum period of one to a maximum of three months at the research institutions of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
* Eligible CAS institutions: More than 80 CAS institutes in China participate in this Fellowship programme.
* The language of instruction is English.
* International travel (return economy class by the shortest route) and visa expenses will be covered by TWAS.
* CAS will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. Only emergency medical aid will be available, if necessary. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
* Applicants must be affiliated with a university or research centre in their home country.
* Applicants already on site in the host country are not eligible.
* Applicants must provide evidence that they will return to their home country upon completion of their Fellowships.
* Applicants must submit an official Acceptance Letter from the host institution to TWAS and CAS when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. A sample of this letter can be found in the application form downloadable from the link at the bottom of this page.
* The Fellowships do not include provisions for accompanying family members.
* Incomplete/unsigned applications will not be accepted. This also applies to submissions by fax and electronic mail, which must include all enclosures and be signed (either digitally or by including a scanned signature).
* Successful applicants must not take up other assignments during the period of their Fellowships.
* Applications will be acknowledged once they have been processed.
* Successful candidates will be notified by February of the year following the application.
* TWAS shall be entitled to a repayment of all or part of any funds paid to an applicant hereunder, in the event that the applicant intentionally or negligently fails to fulfil any or all of the present conditions. The applicant agrees to pay any reasonable legal and/or collection costs incurred by TWAS to obtain the repayment. (more…)