This fellowship is associated with a new national initiative to create a computational research infrastructure for the increased application of Natural Language Processing in the humanities and social sciences, in connection to the pan-European CLARIN initiative. The fellowship will be based at the Language Technology Group (LTG) at IFI, whose main contribution to the project will be web-accessible, large-scale analysis and modelling tools for several languages. These services will be realized on top of the Norwegian national HPC facilities (specifically, a very large and heterogeneous cluster), and development and deployment will be coordinated with the UiO IT services for scientific computing. Candidate PhD projects in this context could, for example, investigate architectural and interface aspects in complex NLP work flows, issues of scalability and parallelization in common NLP tasks, or candidate downstream interfaces and use cases for the infrastructure.
The candidate must hold an MSc degree or other equivalent education in the fields of Computer Science, with a specialization in Language Technology, or Computational Linguistics. The position is hosted at the IFI Research Group in Language Technology (LTG).
Application deadline is August 19, 2012.
For further information about this scholarship visit the below link.
Similar Scholarship Opportunities:
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Cosmology 2011 by University of Oslo, Norway
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Hydrology by the University of Oslo, Norway
- Doctoral Research Fellowship in European Studies by University of Oslo, Norway
- PhD Research Fellowship in Glacier Remote Sensing by University of Oslo, Norway
- Doctoral Research Fellowship in Philosophy by University of Oslo, Norway