This position includes pathogenesis studies of pneumococcal infections and mechanisms for disease development as well as studies of pneumococcal virulence proteins and the pneumococcal cell wall. Tagging the bacteria with fluorophores such as GFP for in vitro and in vivo studies will be a major task. Molecular techniques will be employed as well as in vitro and in vivo models. The goal will be to generate more knowledge on host-parasite interactions important for pneumococcal disease where both the bacteria and their interactions with the host will be targeted.
To qualify, the applicant must hold a doctor’s degree or a foreign qualification deemed equivalent to a doctorate, preferably on pneumococci. The applicant must have more than 4 years of experience in research, but less than 10years in full-time research. Also, the applicant cannot be from Sweden or have been at the Karolinska Institutet for more than 1 year during the last 3 years.
The employment as Postdoctoral Research Fellow within the EIMID IAPP programme will be fixed to two years.
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
1) Education and previous training
2) Relevance for the project
3) Publication and track record
Documented experience in relevant research areas and extensive experience with in vitro model systems and molecular techniques is important. Since the project will deal with pneumococcal infections previous work (such as PhD thesis) with mechanistic and molecular aspects of pneumococci will be prioritized.
Application Deadline is 05/10/2010
For further information about this scholarship visit below link.
Similar Scholarship Opportunities:
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position in Electric Power Systems – Sweden
- University of Plymouth – Postdoctoral Research Fellow Funded by MRC, UK
- Senior Research Fellow Funded by the Wellcome Trust – India
- The University of Nottingham – Research Fellow in Cell Biology, UK
- Neural Developmental Biology Postdoctoral Fellowship at Umeå University – Sweden